Saturday, September 20, 2008

haiku challenge

I have long been enamored with the elegant verse of haiku. The simple construction of five syllables, seven syllables, and five syllables sounds so natural and is nice to say aloud. When I feel too busy to write, I often turn to the haiku to distill what it is I want to say without a lot of additional text. As these waning days of summer have been so full, I turn again to the haiku to illustrate overflowing thoughts, more than I can write about. Just a haiku. Plain and simple. Less is more, less is more.

On brewing liqueurs for a fiftieth wedding anniversary

a mad scientist
mixing ruby elixirs.
berry alchemy

You probably didn't notice that the title was in haiku verse either? But seriously, returning to the simplicity thesis...



Sweet Tresses

What do I love so
much about weaving little
girls' hair with flowers?

Canning

Green peels, steamed and stirred.
A garden harvest transformed.
Summer in a jar.


So, did you think the haiku challenge is for me? By thinly veiled subterfuge at the end of my poetic streamings, I reveal that the challenge is for you! I challenge you to respond to this post in haiku. Or if you prefer, send me a favorite haiku and I will likely post it in the new monthly haiku column.

10 comments:

The Honey Ducks said...

Sunday afternoon
Not homework, let's make cookies!
Good idea. Yum, Yum!

The Dragonfly said...

Nice of a blue frog
to share her inspiration
with a dragonfly.

west wind said...

Wow! My dear readers, you have risen to the challenge. I am impressed. Very fun! xox, m

Anonymous said...

Crisp cool morning air,
a Supreme Being's hint that
fall is arriving.

Apis Melliflora said...

Poetry right now!
Counting syllables is hard--
Give me more freedom!

Keeper said...

Failing Banks
The Crash of a Market
Money is all gone

west wind said...

Hey, keeper and honey ducks, you guys need to recount your syllables! Keeper, you're short 3 and Ducks, you're over 1.

I realize that my earlier response could have been a haiku too.

Wow! My dear readers,
you have risen to the challenge.
I am impressed.

Keeper said...

It is only an American mythconception that Haiku counts on a 5 7 5.

True poetry is not limited by such mundain restrictions!!

Anonymous said...

Teasing each other,
each one so clever and fun.
I love the Stickneys!

Apis Melliflora said...

Only a few days
until--JOY!--we get to play
with you in the flesh!