Sunday, May 10, 2009

spring awakening

A couple weeks ago, a blogging friend recounted a sweet conversation about tulips with her five-year-old son. I was moved by the double entendre to compose a haiku entitled spring awakening.

Tulips are tender flowers caressed by the sun, or
two lips kissing.

Last Sunday, another spring awakening occurred which shifted the sensation from the sublime to the brisk. The 11th Annual Pond Plunge Classic! On the first sunday in May, a group of hearty friends and neighbors gathers on our porch to ponder the annual questions. Who's jumping, who's cheering? This annual rite of spring usually occurs one to four weeks after ice out on our swim pond. Icy plunging and shrieking is followed by maypole dancing, a toenail painting soiree, and divine picnicking.

Compliments of my four-year-old, I earned my glitter painted toenails after immersing myself, twice. A spring awakening indeed. You're all invited next year. Happy Mother's Day!


7 comments:

The Dragonfly said...

You are a brave woman! I would have shivered for hours after an icy plunge like that. HOpe you had a spectacular Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

My comment in the form of a badly written Haiku:

Your annual pond plunge
makes me shiver to the bone,
you must be crazy.

Apis Melliflora said...

You're brave and crazy and adventuresome...all great qualities in a person and in a mom.
One, two, three...jump!

west wind said...

Love the haiku! Thank you.

The Honey Ducks said...

Whoo hooo. Brrrrrr. Polar bear plungers! I bet a good dip in the pond wakes you up for a long season of fun swimming! We'll be thinking of you all swimming with the blue frogs all summer! Yay!

The Honey Ducks said...

Another haiku:

Cold clear water: Jump!
Yikes let's get out of here fast!
Ooops, back in again!

Keeper said...

I got cold just reading about it